You will learn how to do a system recovery on your laptop or desktop. The most common laptops and desktops that have this option are HPs and Compaqs.
First try a system restore using your start menu and typing restore in the search box. Follow directions after clicking the restore icon. Restore to the recommended restore point. This will not delete your files, documents, or pictures. System restore can help fix problems that might be making your computer run slowly or stop responding. Make sure you run system restore in safe mode.
If system restore does not fix your problem, then do a system recovery. Mainly HPs and Compaqs have a built in system recovery. Acer laptops have a built in recovery as well.
First try to make back up files of all your important documents, pictures, music and/or videos. You can do this by writing these files to a CD/DVD, flash drive, or an external hard drive. If you are able to this, then great. If not take it to a professional. Once you have all files backed up, then you are ready to do a system recovery Make sure your computer is turned off. Turn computer on and keep hitting the F11 key, which is the most common key used for system recovery. You will see what F key to use by watching for it as you boot up. Follow instructions after your computer starts system recovery.
Tips & Warnings
- During system recovery, it will ask you if you want to do a system restore.
- If you tried this already, just click no.
- The next step will ask you to do a system recovery and will ask you to back up your files.
- If you were able to back up all files, then click no, if you weren’t then try it from this step.
- Just follow the instructions all the way until you are back up and running.
- Dells and Gateway users, just use your recovery CDs and try a system repair first.
- Remember this; if you don’t back up your files before a system recovery, then they will be lost.
- You might be able to get them back, if you forgot some files, just make sure you don’t use your computer at this time.
- If your computer is too infected by viruses, mal ware or spy ware, then you might not be able to save any files before system recovery.
- Remember to always say yes to your Microsoft updates.
There will be several Microsoft updates to be installed after your system recovery.